Last updated: 9 May 2018
The European Society for Evolutionary Biology takes your privacy seriously. Our privacy notice explains when, how and why we collect personal data from you, how we process it, how we secure it, and which choices you have regarding our use of your data.
About us | How We Collect Information | Information You Provide | Information We Receive from Other Sources | Use of Your Information | Disclosure and Sharing of Your Information | Cross Border Transfers | Security | Cookies | Your Rights | Third-Parties | Changes to this Privacy Notice | Contact
The European Society for Evolutionary Biology (hereafter “ESEB”, “Society”, “we”, or “us”) is a Public Benefit organisation registered in The Netherlands under the tax number: 8080.77.223. ESEB is registered at Molenstraat 156, 6712 CW Ede, The Netherlands. The ESEB office manager can be reached by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail to Ute Moniatte, Postfach 910225, 90260 Nürnberg, Germany. The official website of ESEB is available at https://eseb.org.
The purpose of the Society is to promote the study of organic evolution. In order to achieve this, ESEB publishes the Journal of Evolutionary Biology (JEB), co-publishes the journal Evolution Letters, organizes scientific conferences, supports scientific research concerning organic evolution, and promotes a scientific view of organic evolution in education and research.
How We Collect Information
ESEB may collect personal information from you in the following ways:
- directly from your verbal or written input (such as by consenting to receiving emails or newsletters),
- indirectly through online and offline research or through third parties such as partners, contractors, or subcontractors, and
- automatically when you visit the ESEB website.
Information You Provide
The types of personal information that ESEB collects directly from you may include:
- Contact details, e.g. your name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
- Your CV, education level, and affiliation;
- Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Communication preferences;
- Purchase history concerning your membership;
- Communications with other users of ESEB’s services.
In order to access certain content and to make use of additional functionality and features of ESEB’s websites and services, we may ask you to register for an account by completing and submitting a registration form, in which additional information may be requested.
Information We Receive from Other Sources
ESEB may receive information about you if you use any of the websites we operate or other services we provide. We also work with third parties including, for example, publishers, and professional congress organizers from whom ESEB may receive information about you.
Use of Your Information
ESEB may use your personal information in the performance of any contract we enter into with you, to comply with legal obligations, or where the Society has a legitimate business interest in using your information to enhance the services and products we provide. Legitimate business purposes include, but are not limited to, one or all of the following: providing direct marketing and assessing the effectiveness of promotions and advertising; modifying, improving or personalizing our services, products and communications; detecting fraud; investigating suspicious activity (e.g., violations of our fund transfer agreements) and otherwise keeping our website safe and secure; and conducting data analytics.
In addition, we may use your information in the following ways (after obtaining your consent, if required):
- To provide you with information about the Society, its affiliates, products and services that you request from us;
- To send you periodic newsletters and email announcements from ESEB;
- To provide you with information about other products, events and services we offer that are either (i) similar to those you have already purchased or inquired about, or (ii) entirely new products, events and services;
- For internal business and research purposes to help enhance, evaluate, develop, and create ESEB websites (including usage statistics), products, and services;
- To notify you about changes or updates to our websites, products, or services;
- To administer our services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, statistical, and survey purposes;
- To allow you to participate in the ESEB elections or nominations; and
- For any other purpose that we may notify you of from time to time.
Personal information will not be kept longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. This means that, unless information must be retained for legal or archival purposes, personal information will be destroyed, put beyond use or erased from ESEB’s systems when it is no longer required or, where applicable, following a request from you to destroy or erase it.
Disclosure and Sharing of Your Information
ESEB will not disclose to or share your personal information with any unaffiliated third party except as follows:
- Where necessary in connection with services provided by third parties (i) who provide us with office, administrative, information technology, production, payment, or business management services, and (ii) who are required to comply with this policy;
- Where you voluntarily provide information in response to an advertisement from a third party;
- Where your consent has been provided, with a third party such as an academic institution, school, employer, business or other entity which has provided you with access to a product or service through an integration or access code, information may be shared regarding your engagement with the service or product, results of assessments taken and other information you input into the product or service;
- Where ESEB is required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities and government agencies, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; to comply with a subpoena or other legal process; when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or to protect the rights, property or safety of our services, users or others; and to investigate fraud; and
- Where all or substantially all of the business or assets of ESEB relating to our services are sold, assigned, or transferred to another entity.
If necessary in connection with providing data for research purposes, ESEB may disclose information in the form of anonymous, aggregate usage statistics and demographics information that does not reveal your identity or personal information.
Cross Border Transfers
ESEB may transfer your personal information outside of your country of residence for the following reasons:
- In order to process your transactions, we may store your personal information on our system which may reside outside the country where you live. ESEB has physical or virtual data storages and office location distributed in several countries, including The Netherlands, Germany, United States, and Australia. Such processing may include, among other things, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services.
- In order to satisfy global reporting requirements, ESEB may be required to provide your personal information to ESEB affiliates in other countries.
By submitting your personal information, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing of your information. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal information is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice and all applicable data protection laws.
We will use appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect your data. Access to your personal data will be restricted to only those who need to know that information and required to perform their job function. In addition, we train our society employees and volunteers about the importance of maintaining the confidentiality and security of your information.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically using AWstats. This information may include IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (“ISP”), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, and date/time stamp to analyse trends in the aggregate and administer the site. Data collected by AWstats will be stored at the server of the hosting company for two weeks.
Currently, ESEB does not use any cookies on its website www.eseb.org.
You have the right to make a written request to be informed whether or not we hold or process any of your personal information (by email to email@example.com). In your written request, you may:
- Request that we provide you with details of your personal information that we process, the purpose for which it is processed, the recipients of such information, the existence of any automated decision making involving your personal information, and what transfer safeguards we have in place;
- Request that we rectify any errors in your personal information;
- Request that we delete your personal information if our continued processing of such information is not justified;
- Request that we transfer your personal information to a third party;
- Object to automated decision-making and profiling based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest (in which event the processing will cease except where there are compelling legitimate grounds, such as when the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract between us);
- Object to direct marketing from us; and
- Object to processing for purposes of scientific, historical research and statistics.
Where applicable under your local laws, we will not use your personal information for marketing purposes, nor disclose your information to any third parties, unless we have your prior consent, which we will seek before collecting your personal information. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the consent forms we use when collecting your personal information. If at any point you wish to review or change your preferences you can use the “opt-out” or unsubscribe mechanism or other means provided within the communications that you receive from us or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that you may still receive transactional communications from ESEB.
ESEB’s websites or services may include links to third-party websites. In using such links, please be aware that each third-party website is subject to its own privacy and data protection policies and is not covered by our Privacy Notice.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Please note that ESEB’s Privacy Notice is reviewed periodically. ESEB reserves the right to modify its Privacy Notice at any time without notice. Any changes to the Privacy Notice will be posted on this page and will become effective on the date of posting. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy notice are welcomed and should be addressed by email to email@example.com. Please note that before we can respond to your request, we may ask you for further information to verify your identity.