Small symposia, workshops and courses in various formats can perform functions complementary to those of the ESEB Congresses, allowing more focused interactions within specialist areas, forging new links between previously separate areas or fostering interdisciplinary and innovative ideas that merge specialized fields. One-off events can be valuable but the returns for connected series of events can be even greater. Therefore, ESEB invites proposals for Special Topic Networks (STNs) that will support dynamic and flexible series of small meetings and/or other networking opportunities in focused and currently active research areas.
Each new STN will be funded for up to 6 years (subject to review after 2 and 4 years of operation) with up to 10,000 Euros for each 2‑year funding period. Eight STNs have been initiated since the start of the initiative (see https://eseb.org/prizes-funding/special-topic-networks/), and further STNs will be initiated every other year. The format of these STNs is up to their organisers and innovative ideas are encouraged. All fields of evolutionary biology are eligible.
Next Call for Applications
The next deadline will close on April 3rd, 2023.
Currently Funded Networks
- ADAPT – Ancient DNA studies of Adaptive Processes through Time (started in 2017)
- Ecological genomics of coevolutionary interactions (started in 2017)
- European Drosophila Population Genomics Network (DrosEU) (started in 2016)
- The Evolutionary Ecology of Thermal Fertility Limit (started in 2019)
- IOS – Integration of speciation research (started in 2021)
- Linking local adaptation with the evolution of sex differences (started in 2016)
- Synthesizing Micro- and Marco-Evolutionary Processes Shaping Prokaryotic Genomes (started in 2019)
- WAME – Wild Animal Microbiome Evolution (started in 2021)
The STN Committee,
Franjo Weissing (Chair), Troy Day, Ellen Decaestecker, Simone Immler, and Yannis Michalakis