The grant aims to ensure equal opportunities at the 29th European Meeting of PhD Students in Evolutionary Biology (EMPSEB) from 3rd-7th June in Austria, or the 3rd Joint Congress on Evolutionary Biology of ASN/ESEB/SSB/SSE in Montreal, Canada, on July 26th-30th, 2024.
The grant aims to increase the attendance of members of groups where financial constraints contribute to underrepresentation (e.g. cost of childcare, high costs relative to funding for those from low-income countries). The grant provides stipends of financial aid to help with costs otherwise borne privately due to limited access to funding when attending one of the meetings mentioned above. The stipend (250–750 €) will contribute to travel costs and/or expenses for care of dependents.
Please note that this grant is distinct from the ESEB Conference Travel Award, which is specifically designed to help young researchers who are professionally based in low income countries with the travel costs to attend the meeting. Those from low-income countries can apply for, and may be awarded, both grants.
DEADLINE: closed on January 31st, 2024
- Applicants must be ESEB members. To become a member please visit our membership page.
- Applications can be submitted by scientists at any stages of their professional career (e.g., undergraduate, Masters and PhD students, postdocs, and lecturers).
- Applicants must explain how their attendance will increase equal opportunities at the society.
- Applicants must present either an oral communication or a poster at the respective meeting to be eligible for the award. This will be verified before the reimbursement, but no proof that a poster or talk is accepted is necessary at the application stage. Please note that being chosen for a travel award does not guarantee acceptance of a poster or talk at the conference.
- Applicants must detail how they intend to use the grant. Eligible costs include, but are not limited to: costs related to childcare or care of dependents, financial constraints related to inequality (e.g. salary from low-income country).
- The stipend will be paid out at a flat rate of 250 € for people in Europe, up to 500 € for people outside Europe, and up to 750 € for people from low-income countries. Except in special circumstances, funds will be transferred after the congress, when confirmation of attendance is provided.
HOW TO APPLY
The application should be no more than 2 pages long and include:
- Name of the applicant
- ESEB membership number
- An explanation of how attendance at the meeting improves equal opportunities at ESEB
- An explanation of how attendance at the meeting will further the attendant’s professional goals
- Itemised budget
Please submit the application as a single PDF file by email to Ute Friedrich at the ESEB office (firstname.lastname@example.org; subject: CAA grant 2024) and take care to limit the size of attachments (total < 10 MB) in any one email.
We will acknowledge receipt of all applications within a week. If you have not received our confirmation by then, please contact the ESEB office again!